Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A few pages I wrote about six years or so ago...

I kept them concealed because of a couple things I had to say that and I didn't want to get into the whole mess again with some people online.

The Eden Tree was all about the forbidden fruit, right? I just sent out links to these simple pages to friends, most of these friends knew I got doinked on a couple designs by other people. I figured I would put it up here and see if anyone finds any value in them.

They were also sort of the death knell of me writing about self-defense issues. If people want to believe that whatever they are into is going to save them above and beyond anything else, that's fine.

There was a time when I was a lot more altruistic. Most people thought I was just on a powertrip. There was some ego involved but I really did care about people taking some goofy or stupid martial arts class and learning something that would get them killed on the street.

I care about smart people who reject dogma, popular opinion, trends, fashions and conventional wisdom.

6 comments:

bandasi said...

Excellent - I've read your writing ever since bladeforums and SDF and I've always felt that these are some of the best work that you do: bringing to light all the nasty, sneaky, underground, and innovative things from the past and present.

Don Rearic said...

Yeah, BFC and SDF were two big coffin nails in that period.

I appreciate the compliment though. 8-)

Don

Blackthorn D. Stick said...

I remember that article now. Wow, has it really been that long? Still great though after all these years.

Don Rearic said...

Might be seven years old! 8-)

Don

Some Guy said...

Really interesting synchronicity, Don - I learned about these sorts of attachment mechanisms via a "Fighting Firearms" magazine article on Ken Null, dating to probably 1992 or so. Null worked for Seventrees. After I read this page and remembered what a cool idea was, I tried some of the techniques but didn't like them until I found the right application - which was a cheap Blackjack throwing knife! I sharpened the first two inches very aggressively and improved the grip by applying tool dip with some sand mixed in, and made a quick and dirty kydex sheath. Using a suspender clip (smaller than yours, but still with an aggressive bite) on the front end, I clipped it inside my strong-side pocket. A really cool solution.

Don Rearic said...

I wish you still had that article so you could scan it and E-mail it to me. That is around the time I learned about FBI Agent Delf "Jelly" Bryce from another issue of some gun magazine.

Don