Monday, October 26, 2009

PAL Survival Lights






I have owned a couple of PAL Survival Lights for about ten years now. I placed them on my website way back when in two articles...

Nighttime Companions One

Nighttime Companions Two

I have been hard on them over the years and they have taken a ton and a half of abuse. They have been dropped, stepped on, forgotten with a battery in them under a car seat for a year in all kinds of weather - YOU NAME IT!

Rainsoaked, 140+ degrees (F) in a vehicle for weeks, frozen temperature for weeks on end and some days swinging from 25 or so up to almost 90 degrees within hours...being in the greenhouse that is a vehicle in the sunshine with the windows up.

FINALLY, I broke one of them about two years ago, it was my fault. The second one, ten years old, fell to a faulty 9-volt battery a month or so ago and that was that. I had to check out the newer ones...and they are very, very nice pocket LED flashlights.

On one of my old ones, you can see in one of the links provided to my website article, I pierced the rubber case of one PAL Survival Light - in two places - and threaded through some ParaCord to make a neck carrier for the light. Well, innovative as it once was, you don't have to go through the trouble now as the PAL Survival Light comes with a little lanyard bail on the back of it that even folds away if you are not using it.

The front of the body has a small hood now so you get less sidespill of light and offers a bit of protection to the focused lens mounted in the body of the light.

It runs on common 9-Volt Batteries and the light will run for a year on the constant ON position and that's a great thing because you can spot the small dot of white light on the ceiling of a dark room, or even under the seat of a vehicle where it has been lost for months, having slipped between console and seat. In various equipment bags, it will be easily spotted down in the darkness, ready and able to help you out.

I would be lying to you if I told you the PAL Survival Light was the best light out there or that it is going to replace all of my flashlights or that it could replace all of your's. We're not about that here.

What I will tell you is this, your First Aid Kit (FAK), your bag you carry all of your Every Day Carry (EDC) items in...your Bug Out Bag (BOB)...your Survival Kit (SKIT) are probably in need of a PAL Survival Light and probably a little bit less of a kit without one of them shining dimly in the bottom of the bag. Your flip-up console between the two front seats of your car or truck and the glove compartment...are probably in need of one of them as well...

Here are the specs and a few pictures of the brand new model I have. All of the dust in the pictures are from my pockets.

National Stock Number #6230-01-465-3082

The constant on glow-mode can last up to one year (That's not hype, that's a fact.)

The emergency strobe feature can remain on for up to 100 hours.

The low beam can also last up to 100 hours.

The high beam? 40 hours!

The PAL Survival Light weighs 2.9 ounces and is highly water-resistant, something that is also not hype!

Buy several, you won't regret it.

No comments: